About Me

My Photo
Kim
Hi! I'm Kim- a wife, momma, daughter, sister, friend. I love UK, going out for a good glass of wine, cooking, spending too much time on pinterest, and making new memories. I love my life and you're welcome to read about it!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 18, 2011

You'll Thank Me Later

This recipe might actually be the best thing you have ever tasted. It is one of those dishes where every time you take a bite you say "MMmmmmmm" to no one but yourself. I wouldn't lie to you.
I made this last week while my husband grilled some steaks. Most people get really intimidated by risotto but don't be! It really is simple if you know how to make a counter clock wise stirring motion... which you all should!
This might just be the best side dish ever... I think I already said that but that's how good it is. Listen to me people!

Creamy Mushroom Risotto
adapted from Gourmet Mushroom Risotto on Allrecipes.com



What you will need:

6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 package mushrooms (I use baby bella mushrooms that are pre-packaged and already sliced)
2 shallots,diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups arboria rice (you can get it at Kroger)
1/2 cup white wine (use one you like the taste of and that isn't too sweet. Dry wines work best)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons butter
chives for garnish
salt and pepper to taste

In a saucepan simmer the chicken broth over low heat until ready to use.

In a large skillet or dutch oven set to medium high, add one tablespoon of olive oil and saute the mushrooms until tender. Once soft, remove mushrooms and juices and set aside. Don't adjust the heat and using the same pan, add one more tablespoon of oil and add shallots and garlic. Stir until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Add arborio rice and stir to coat in oil. Continue stirring until the rice turns a slight color of golden. Make sure you aren't burning the onions or garlic in the process. You may have to add a smidge more oil and that's okay. Once it starts to turn add your white wine and stir continuously until all the liquid has been absorbed. Once it is absorbed add 1/2 cup of your simmering chicken stock continuously stirring until all liquid is absorbed. Repeat this process 1/2 cup by 1/2 cup until all chicken stock has been added.
Here is where you might start making your temperature adjustments to your burner. I turned mine a little more to medium. You do NOT want to rush this step because adding it slowly makes the risotto creamy. You don't want your burner too hot where the rice is sticking to the bottom and you don't want it not hot enough where it is taking forever to absorb. You know your burner and how true the temperatures really are. This step probably takes about 25 minutes but SOOO worth it.
Once your rice is al dente and all the chicken stock has been used, add your mushrooms and juices back in plus your butter and Parmesan cheese. I don't really go by the amount when adding the butter and cheese. I just do a tablespoon of butter at a time and a sprinkle of cheese then taste and add more if necessary.
Finish with chives and serve immediately.


You will most definitely say "MMmmmmm" once you take your first bite. Plus, this recipe is sure to impress any dinner guests and they will think you have gone and went off to culinary school. It's a hit and totally worth the time to make it.

Are you up to trying it? You should and let me know what you think!

*Edit: I don't know why I said counter clockwise motion. Looking back that is pretty stupid of me. You can obviously do clockwise stirring too. And if you are a real rebel you can even do both! Live on the wild side a little. 

0 comments: