About Me

My Photo
Kim
Hi! I'm Kim- a wife, momma, daughter, sister, friend. I love UK, going out for a good glass of wine, cooking, spending too much time on pinterest, and making new memories. I love my life and you're welcome to read about it!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Too Much Celebrating...

To post yesterday! I kid, because actually on the day of our anniversary I went to the movies with my brother to see Harry Potter. Yeah, I know... complete wife fail. But to be honest, we have gone together for every movie and the hubs said it was fine by him. And don't think too poorly of me because we had celebrated the night before anyway.

I went to pick up hubs present on Friday and blabbed about it as soon as I walked through the front door. I'm a great secret keeper like that. But the thing was, I had his wedding ring engraved with our initials and the date and had "dropped them off to get cleaned". So as soon as I walked in he wanted his ring back and I had to spill the beans. I could have chanced him just not noticing until Saturday but lets be honest, I really can't keep it a secret longer than I have too... I get jittery and giggly and then the gig is up.
Saturday we celebrated with the rest of our presents and dinner at Porcini's. Restaurant name sound vaguely familiar? Well, it might. No, we didn't ask for a back booth just in case Slick Rick Pitino had another lady friend back there. But the meal was fabulous...steak with Gorgonzola butter, potato cakes, and grill asparagus. Yum! They even gave us a complimentary cake, how sweet!


Then we went home and ate our own wedding cake after a year of it sitting in our freezer. I was really curious how it would look when we unwrapped the box. It was mold free but they did pack it with the fresh flowers still on top. Do you know what fresh flowers look like after sitting in a freezer for a year? Yeah, well I didn't want to. After we picked them off this is what it looked like...



And it was surprisingly good. The icing tasted just like it did the day we ate it and it was probably the best icing I have ever had. The strawberry cake was a tad bit dry but it was still pretty good. Nick obviously thought so since he ate two pieces of it.

This is actually what our cake looked like during the wedding.



It was gorgeous and you would never actually know that it is fake. Yep, you read that right. It's made of Styrofoam except for the very top layer that we used for the cake cutting ceremony. We had 3 types of sheet cakes from the back; two were the strawberry and vanilla buttercream and the other was a buttered rum cake. Both were delicious. I know there are a lot of people planning weddings out there in blogger world and I would say that I highly recommend doing this for ANYBODY! I got a huge chocolate cake for the grooms cake, a fake wedding cake, and 3 sheet cakes for around $300.
Honestly, I priced a LOT of everything for the wedding. I had to really think to myself what I wanted to spend the money on. Did I want to pay $1000 for a cake that would be gone in about 10 minutes or did I want to put that money toward something I can actually keep like my photos. Photos definitely won out and I am so happy I made that decision.

Anyway, I'll leave you with the present Nick got me. I kind of already knew he had bought it because I found the receipt. Wife fail #2. But I was just as excited to get it in my little hands. Now I just have to decide where to hang it!

0 comments: