About Me

My Photo
Hi! I'm Kim- a wife, momma, daughter, sister, friend. I love UK, going out for a good glass of wine, cooking, spending too much time on pinterest, and making new memories. I love my life and you're welcome to read about it!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sam's Birth Story

I've been meaning to write this ever since we got home from the hospital, but with all the crazy that has been going on here since we got home, this post is a little late.
I want to write this down, to keep it and have it for myself and my husband. That day was so special but such a blur that I want to keep it here to always remember. So, if you don't want to hear about Sam's arrival, I suggest you stop reading here.
I was due on June 26th and when that day came and went, I didn't think I was ever going to have this baby. I had been disappointed at each doctor's appointment when I would hear that I wasn't really progressing past a 1/2 centimeter or a "tight 1"... whatever that means. I literally was having no contractions, not really any braxton hicks, and no sign that this little guy was going to make his debut on his own. I was more that disappointed and anxious.
On Saturday June 30th, I knew I was no longer going to have a June baby. I wasn't feeling anything and mostly just laid around the house all day long because I was so swollen and puffy that I wasn't subjecting the world to my face... or my feet. Nick and I went to bed around 10:00pm and at around 12:30 I had a contraction that woke me up from my sleep. It hurt. Like whoa. So I got up and went to the bathroom and had another one on the way back to bed. Then another when I got to the bed. I stood there in the dark wondering if I should wake Nick up or not. I thought about just standing there and timing the contractions myself but then thought that might be creepy if Nick woke up with me standing over him!
I woke him up and we timed as my contractions went from 10 minutes apart to 5 minutes apart in about 30 minutes. It was happening fast... and contractions are no joke. I was literally shaking. Since they were coming so close together we went ahead and went to the hospital. I wasn't worried about them sending me back home since I was already 4 days past my due date anyway.
When we arrived at the hospital, I was checked at about a 2 or a 3 and was 80% effaced. I immediately got an epidural and HELLO! Those things are wonderful! From about 2am until about 10am I just rested on and off. The nurse came back in to check my progress and I was at an 8. They had to break my water and I was hoping the last two centimeters would go by quick... I was wrong.
I didn't want pitocin so those last 2 centimeters took about 4 hours. Around 2:45 the Dr. told me we were ready to push. I pushed 3 sets and he was here!!
It was an amazing experience and such a wonderful moment when I heard his first cry and saw him for the first time. I will never be able to put that into words so I'm not even going to try.
My baby is here and I love him more and more each day. It truly is amazing the love you have for your baby. He is precious and beautiful and I could just stare at him all day!


katie ridings

Very simple & awesome :) Glad everything worked out!! I like that you woke up from your sleep, I wonder if thats how it will happen with me.